An individual who has earned their massage therapy degree uses specialized touch in order to help promote healing, and de-stress their patients.
If earning your massage therapy degree is a career path that is of interest to you, here are the steps you will need to follow in order to become a massage therapist:
1. Do your research. Before you decide to pursue massage therapy school, you should first spend some time researching a career as a massage therapy school graduate. How much money will you earn? Where will you work? What are the pros and cons of working as a massage therapy degree graduate? You might even want to consider an informational interview, or job shadowing someone who is already working as a massage therapy school graduate.
You should also look into massage therapy schools in your area to see what kind of programs they offers, as well as to decide whether you would prefer to earn your massage therapy degree through an online or an on campus program.
2. Get admitted into massage therapy school. Most massage therapy schools will require several academic pre-requisites, including: a high school diploma or GED, grade 12 biology and grade 12 chemistry.
Most massage therapy schools will also require additional, non-academic pre requisites, such as a clean criminal background check, and your first aid certification.
3. Complete your massage therapy courses. You will take a variety of massage therapy courses on various techniques, as well as human anatomy. Some employers may ask to see your grades as a condition of employment, so try to earn strong grades in your massage therapy courses.
4. Complete your internship. As a part of your massage therapy school program you will need to complete an internship. This is an opportunity for you to learn directly from a massage therapy school graduate, as well as to meet others in the field and begin to form a network, which may prove helpful to finding a job as a massage therapy degree graduate. Finally, you will earn valuable experience, which you can include on your resume.
5. Earn your massage therapy degree.Once you have completed all of your massage therapy school coursework, and the internship component of your program, you will be eligible to graduate from massage therapy school.
6. Explore career options. As a massage therapy school graduate you will have several career options, including opening your own business, working in a spa, or working in a healthcare-related field. During your internship in massage therapy school you will likely have had the chance to test out one of the options to see if you think it might be right for you or not.
Again, this is a great opportunity to talk to other massage therapy school graduates who are already in the field to learn about all of your career options and decide which is right for you. Good luck!