Design Manager Salary & Career Facts
Careers in design and design management have evolved greatly over the years. Graphic designers and artists are an integral part of many organizations and industries especially media, advertising and publishing.
By definition, design management is the business side of design. Design management encompasses the ongoing processes, business decisions, and strategies that enable innovation and create well-designed products, services, communications, environments, and brands that enhance our quality of life and provide organizational success.
A good multidisciplinary college or university program will provide graduates with the knowledge and skills required to be employed in organizations engaged in the design field. They should be aimed at those who are new to the design field, may already be working in the design or business fields and/or those who have some design or business post-secondary education. It should also serve the many different disciplines dedicated to design, including fashion, interior, industrial, graphic, landscape, architectural, engineering, and business interests.
Types of Design Managers
There are many different types of design managers; therefore potential design students have many different options when pursuing this field as a career.
Some examples of professionals that are practicing design management include:
• design department managers
• brand managers
• creative directors
• design directors
• heads of design
• design strategists
• design researchers
Education Requirements to become a Design Manager
The education requirements to become a design manager vary depending on the filed or industry you choose to be in.Generally, to become any type of manager you will require at least a bachelor’s degree. For a design manager a bachelor’s degree that combines, creativity, art and business principles should be sufficient.
• Master of Design, Strategy and Innovation
• Master in Fashion, Experience, and Design Management
• Master of Design Innovation
• Master in Management Science, Specialized in Strategy & Design
• MA Luxury Brand Management
• Master of Design Management
• Master Program in Design and Graphic Expression
• Master of Integrated Design
• The Master of Design Degree
• MA Design: Management and Policy
• Master of Arts, Design and Media Management
• Masters of Professional Studies (MPS) in Design Management
• Master of Science Strategic Product Design
• MA Innovation & Brand Management
• MA International Business & Management for Designers
• Masters of Professional Studies in Branding
• BA of Design Management
• BSc Industrial Design
• BSc Product Design
• BSc Product Design Engineering
• BSc Virtual Product Design
• BA Industrial Design and Technology
• BSc Multimedia Technology and Design and Broadcast Media
Design management can be a very lucrative career. It is a very creative field that requires a specialized set of skills especially when it involves web design and computer design. Global statistics show that the median salary of a design manager is $ 78,000. Entry level designers can expect to earn between $ 40,000 and $ 60,000. Experienced professionals can expect to earn a minimum of $ 65,000 and it can go all the way up to the low six figures.