How Much Does a Media Designer Make per Year?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the industry of media design is expected to grow 13 percent by 2020. With the media design industry continuing to grow, more and more media designers will be needed to inspire and inform consumers by creating skilled visual representations.
Typical Duties of a Media Designer
Often, media designers will use color, characters, and text, among other techniques, to create a visually appealing display. The display will be typically used by a business in an attempt to inspire or inform their targeted consumers. Media designers also work to create a unique and recognizable logo or display for a certain organization. To do so, most media designers will use a variety of computer software programs.
Media designers typically perform the following duties on a daily basis:
● Meet with clients to develop a project
● Develop images to portray a certain message
● Ensure that the project targets the appropriate audience
● Create appealing visual displays by hand or by using a computer software program
Expected Salary for a Media Designer
On average, media designers make $ 48,730 per year, with their average hourly wage being $ 23.43. The maximum average salary for media designers is $ 77,370 per year, while the minimum average salary is $ 26,210. Fifty percent of all media designers earned made between $ 33,410 and $ 59,410 per year.
National Statistics for Media Designers
The expected salary for media designers has many contributing factors, such as what industry you work in or where you are currently living.
Industries with the highest level of employment:
1. Specialized Design Services: 25,140 media designers worked in this industry with an average mean wage of $ 51,300.
2. Newspaper, Periodical, Book, and Directory Publishers: 23,410 media designers worked in this industry with an average mean wage of $ 43,470.
3. Advertising, Public Relations, and Related Services: 20,560 media designers worked in this industry with an average mean wage of $ 50,590.
4. Printing and Related Support Activities: 16,290 media designers worked in this industry with an average mean wage of $ 38,690.
States with highest average salary:
1. District of Columbia: Media designers working in the District of Columbia made an average of $ 66,030 per year.
2. New York: Media designers working in New York made an average of $ 59,580 per year.
3. California: Media designers working in California made an average of $ 57,140 per year.
4. Connecticut: Media designers working in Connecticut made an average of $ 54,530 per year.
5. Virginia: Media designers working in Virginia made an average of $ 53,950 per year.
Overall, the expected salary for media designers depends on the industry you work in, the state you reside in, your level of education, and the number of years of experience you have working as a media designer.