What are Computer Applications?
Computer applications are growing in popularity since the invention of smart phones, tablets, and more accessible technology. Essentially, computer applications provide a service or source of entertainment based on computer code. Programs that can be used every day or utilized to reduce personal workloads (digital assistants) are among some of the most popular applications since they help maximize productivity and contribute to everyday lifestyles. Some applications may include:
• Sound programs for windows
• Animation programs
• Word processing programs
• Network management software
• Task software
• CRM systems
There may be other applications that are developed, but it depends largely on market demand.
What do Computer Application Developers do?
Computer applications are made from code as well as a market need for a certain product, so a computer applications programmer is responsible for:
• Understanding computer science, programming, trouble shooting, and working with networks
• Researching consumer needs, acquiring feedback and working to fix errors
• Updating and maintaining existing applications and making newer versions available annually or whenever a demand piques
• Understanding competition and ensuring that computer applications are usable and adaptable
• Testing and fixing computer applications
• Working with a team to build applications on a regular basis
• Assisting after launches to fix any errors that come up
• Protecting users with anti-virus or anti-virus measures
• Brainstorming or making a design to bring to life (mapping)
There may be other functions for a computer applications developer, but overall, they are responsible for making, maintaining, fixing, and improving computer applications over time.
What Skills do I need to Build Computer Applications?
Some skill sets that successful computer application builders use include:
• A team-oriented mentality
• The ability to problem solve and the ability to persist in the face of difficulty
• Customer care and customer support services for concerns or malfunctions that arise
• A visionary perspective for new designs and applications
There may be other skills that are beneficial, but overall, being a visual and practical person who enjoys team work is a great start in the field of computer applications.
What Schooling is needed to Enter the Field of Computer Applications?
There is high demand in the field of computer applications, so it is important to get certain schooling requirements, namely a degree course, down before joining a firm or starting off independently. Overall, schooling usually consists of a post-secondary education in a degree course for computer science or equivalent. Some schooling options may include:
• Bachelors degree course in computer science is preferred (in-school or online)
• Master’s degree course in computer science (in-school or online)
• Associates degree course in programming or computer science (in-school or online)
• Diploma course in computer engineering(in-school or online)
• Extra-curricular courses in computer engineering or computer science
• Placement in computer technology firms
There may be other options to consider if you have a busy schedule, young children, or would like to fast-track. Speaking directly to the school regarding what you hope to achieve is the best way to understand what academic route to take.
How do I get Started?
If the field of computer applications seems like something that would interest you, speaking to a post-secondary school about the application process would be a great way to get started. As well, speaking to those in the field would be the best way to understand the roles and responsibilities, as well as job enjoyment.