A computer engineering degree can be split into two separate degrees: a software computer engineering school degree and a hardware computer engineering school degree.
An individual with a software computer engineering school degree develops, designs and tests software or constructs, and later maintains computer networks, programs for companies or organizations.
An individual with a hardware computer engineering school degree researches, develops and tests hardware or computer equipment. They also ensure that their hardware work properly with the latest software technology.
The average salary for a computer engineering degree graduate is between $ 56,000 to $ 114,000 per year. The media salary for a computer engineer is $ 85,000.
Some factors that may affect your salary as a computer engineering school graduate include: the computer engineering school you attended, your geographic location, where you are working, and your years of experience.
Some other facts about the salary for a computer engineering school graduate:
• Individuals with a computer engineering degree have earned their degree in one of the highest paid college majors according to a 2012 study.
• New graduates are able to earn an average salary of $ 56,000 to $ 71,000 per year. Many of these graduates have a BA level degree, however if you go on to earn your Master’s, or even PhD, you will are likely to earn more.
• As part of your computer engineering degree, you can choose to specialize in either hardware of software systems. This will affect which computer engineering courses you will choose to take, but it unlikely to affect your salary.
• Within each subset of computer engineering, there are also several specialties. For example, if you choose to earn your software computer engineering school degree, you could take courses in coding, of information protection. When deciding which computer engineering school you will be attending, think about what you might be interested in specializing in, and ensure that courses are available. What you choose to specialize in may have an effect on your salary, as some specializations are seen as more lucrative than others.
• It is likely that even after you have completed your computer engineering degree you will want to continue to take computer engineering courses, in order to keep current on new technologies. Many employers will be willing to pay for you to take additional computer engineering courses. This can also lead to you being more employable, and potentially demanding a higher salary.
• As previously mentioned, your geographic area can have a big impact on your salary as a computer engineer. If you live in an area with a larger IT sector, then it is likely that you can earn a higher salary due to the fact that there are more jobs available than there are qualified individuals to fill them.