How much does a sound arts technician make per year?
Sound arts technicians, also known as sound engineering technicians are responsible for making the audio that we hear in movies, television shows, special events, and the radio sound great. They do this by using recorded audio to create a layered final product.
Key Responsibilities of Sound Arts Technicians
Sound technicians are responsible for the setup, operation, and maintenance of the equipment that is used for television, concerts, movies, and more. Some of the specific job responsibilities of sound arts technicians are:
● Operate, monitor, and adjust audio and video equipment
● Setup and tear down equipment before and after events or filming
● Record audio
● Convert video and audio records to editable digital files
● Install audio and video equipment
Sound Arts Technicians’ Annual Income
The average annual income for sound arts technicians ranges from $ 22,810 to $ 97,700 per year. The average annual wage for this position is $ 55,340, which translates to roughly $ 26.60 per hour.
Top Paying Industries for Sound Arts Technicians
The income earned by sound arts technicians can vary by industry. The top paying industries for sound arts technicians are listed below along with their respective average salaries:
● Amusement Parks and Arcades ($ 63,220)
● Software Publishers ($ 63,500)
● Accounting, Tax Preparation, Bookkeeping, and Payroll Services ($ 64,140)
● Business, Professional, Labor, Political, and Similar Organizations ($ 64,860)
● Motion Picture and Video Industries ($ 76,300)
Top Paying States for Sound Arts Technicians
Location can have just as significant an impact on pay as the industry. The top five best paying states in the United States for sound arts technicians are:
● District of Columbia ($ 58,830)
● Virginia ($ 60,890)
● New York ($ 62,950)
● California ($ 67,900)
● Nevada ($ 81,050)
Top Paying Metropolitan Areas for Sound Arts Technicians
The fluctuation in pay doesn’t stop at the state level. You can increase your chances of making the most as a sound arts technician by choosing the right metropolitan area to work in. The top paying metropolitan areas are listed below along with their respective average salaries:
● New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ ($ 63,450)
● Jacksonville, FL ($ 64,950)
● San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA ($ 72,380)
● Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA ($ 72,710)
● Las Vegas-Paradise, NV ($ 84,340)
Sound arts technicians can work in virtually any industry or location. All they have to do is decided on which industry and location to work in and then they can begin their career making memorable audio for whatever projects they choose.